So easy… it’s bananas!
~ MrBreakfast.com ~
During the dull days of the 2020 lockdown, I drove myself crazy refreshing Facebook and Instagram to see if there was anything new I hadn’t seen yet. This sort of attitude might explain why Banana Bread started trending some weeks into the initial Corona Virus lockdowns. In 2019 you would have laughed hearing this, but once everyone had a sourdough starter, and the South Africans had nearly poisoned themselves with their home-made pineapple beer, Banana Bread became a thing! And I must say – it’s a nice thing. I have always liked banana bread – much more than just eating actual bananas. We have all had some once beautifully ripe bananas go blotchy and shrivelled in our fruit bowls. So having a way to use up those pungent past-their-prime bananas is a good thing too.
This is bananas!
The first thing people say when eyeing overripe bananas is “make some banana bread quickly”. But my trusted Kook en Geniet recipe calls for eight ingredients, creaming the butter, sugar and eggs and sifting dry ingredients. This always seems to be a bit of a schlep, to be honest. So when Banana Bread started trending, I remembered that I had saved a Foodies of South Africa Instagram post about 3-Ingredient Banana Bread. Yes, only two pantry staples and some overripe bananas! They even give you a hack to ripen underripe bananas. Now that is really so easy it’s bananas!
Do you find me a-peeling?
Sorry for all the banana jokes, but there are just too many to ignore! 3-Ingredient Banana Bread is really quick and easy, and I could not taste any difference from traditional Banana Bread recipes. I realised that my Bran and Honey Loaf uses very similar ingredients (except for the bananas of course) and has never flopped once. So this 3-Ingredients Banana Bread recipe gets five stars from me. The Foodies of South Africa account traditionally has short recipe videos and that really illustrates how easy this recipe is. By the way, if you have a weakness for rusks like me, watch them also turn this recipe into 3-Ingredient Banana Bread Rusks!
3-Ingredient Banana Bread
- 5 medium overripe bananas + 1 ripe banana to garnish (optional)
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 2¼ c self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas lightly using a fork.
- Pour in the condensed milk and mix well.
- Sieve the flour over condensed milk-banana mixture and fold in until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf tin. If desired, arrange two banana halves over the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. If the top becomes too dark during cooking time, cover with foil. Allow the loaf to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Slice the banana bread while still warm, spread generously with butter and ENJOY!
- If your bananas are underripe, place them on a tray in their skins and bake at 180°C for 15-18 minutes until blackened on the outside and soft on the inside.
- I always add a pinch of salt even to sweet baking. Self-raising flour has a little bit of salt already, so you won't need to add extra salt.